Sunday, October 30, 2005

What the world needs now, is love.

In 1998 I watched "My Best Friend's Wedding" for the first time in the cinema. I was 15 then, and very into that 'some years down the road I am going to find someone special and live happily ever after' kind of fairytale romance. I loved the movie - though there were some bits I didn't understand - and even though I hated the fact that Julia Roberts' character did not get together with her best friend in the end, I did not cry.

So Thursday night I saw the DVD for "My Best Friend's Wedding" priced at thirteen (13) (jyuu-san) (十三) bucks. A Julia Roberts movie, for thirteen bucks (!!). Naturally, I bought it in a heartbeat, and on Friday night, a full seven years after I first watched the movie, I put it on and sat down to watch it again. This time, at age 22, I felt like I truly understood the movie for the first time. The pain of giving your blessings to the one man you've always loved... is complex, and so very uncomprehensible. I cried for the first time, at the end when Julia Roberts gave that wedding speech, even though I'd already seen the movie like, what... 12 times (just an estimate ;p)?

That bittersweet ending couldn't have appealed to me any more, because it was so perfect and it was just the way I'd have wanted it to end... now. I guess it's true when people say you view and interpret things differently at different phases of your life. Well, watch this space on my 30th birthday - I might tell you that "MBFW" was one hell of a crappy movie ;)

And of course, of course, I wouldn't have enjoyed the movie that much if not for the eye-candy (like, duh!) Dermot Mulroney. Okay okay, Dermot Mulroney WHO? He isn't exactly an A-lister among the Hollywood stars, but I love him so. He turns 42 tomorrow, but *happy sigh*, I say nothing can be sexier and more charming in a man than his age and maturity!!! The pics say it all, I don't have to explain anything...

Drool your mouths dry, people.













Random trivia: I'm beginning to realise that I have a thing for people who never quite made it to the tip of the top in Hollywood (recalls John Cusack, Kiefer Sutherland, Topher Grace, Michael Vartan, and now Dermot Mulroney) o.O

And hell, if Rupert Everett was straight, I'd take him too - anytime.

X X X

Me: I want a man like him (DM).

Piggy: Sigh. Don't we all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home