Friday, July 25, 2008

Glass, concrete and stone.

I haven't been blogging regularly because there is nothing particularly exciting in my life these days, but I will let you in on a few random tidbits which I thought are worth sharing:

1) After a life-sucking, energy-consuming cardio gym class last Sunday, I was walking out of the studio and waving goodbye to my instructor, W, when he asked, "Are you going for the course?"

L: Course?

W: There is an instructor's course in September!

L: o_O No lah, I am not good enough.

W: Aiya no harm giving it a try...

L: Err... but do people go for the course with no intention to teach?

W: You will have a choice of whether you want to teach or not.

Bwahahahhahahaha. Okay, I know he was probably just making harmless conversation, but the mere thought of ME as an aerobics instructor (!!!) yelling at the top of my lungs in a studio was... hilarious, and I left the studio giggling to myself. :p

2) I cannot believe the DRAMA that surrounded me watching "The Dark Knight". Not related to the movie plot itself of course, but the seemingly neverending obstacles that I faced before actually sitting down to watch the movie. Piggy and I have been looking forward to catching it since FOREVER, so I very smugly bought tickets to the show 11 days in advance, with good seats at a very very low price, thanks to my credit card discount (although I had to queue for 15 minutes!). A week before the day we were supposed to watch it, the Pig sent a text message full of remorse, saying she cannot watch the movie because it would be her brother's birthday and she'd have to have dinner with her family that night instead (I can't believe she FORGOT her brother's birthday, but let's not go there for now ;p).

To cut a long story short, I had to sell our tickets to someone else and queue for the tickets once again, to watch the movie one day after. We were happy once again, with back-row seats at a very very low price (Thank you UOB! :p).

Then came the day of the movie, and I was waiting to board the train to the cinema when I decided to take out the tickets from my wallet just to check that they were there, and....

TO MY UTMOST HORROR THEY WEREN'T.

THE TICKETS WERE NOT THERE. THEY WERE NOT IN MY WALLET.

I SWEAR I HAD THEM IN MY WALLET THAT AFTERNOON.

How the hell were we going to watch the movie without tickets?!?!?! And of ALL movies, The Dark Knight?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Then it hit me. I knew where the tickets were. I left them on my desk at work when I was clearing my wallet that afternoon. ARGH! I wasted no time. I broke into cold sweat, heart beating at 500 beats/minute and typed Piggy a desperate SMS to 'solve the problem' for us, since she was already waiting for me there. It took her a good few minutes to get back to me, reassuring me that the cinema would have a record of our transaction and that they were "okay" with letting us through. I heaved a huge, huge sigh of relief, because I cannot imagine NOT watching the movie that night, and secondly because I dragged the Pig into this mess as well. *shame shame shame*

And so, after a few minutes of explaining to the people at the Cathay box office, we managed to get into the cinema without too much of a problem, and the movie was GREAT. I would watch it again.

I owe the entire experience to Cathay, really. The customer service people were lovely and very kind, not impatient and in fact, very trusting too. Thumbs up! :)

3) Five months ago I was on the train, on my way to the dentist (yes that was the day of my queer dental nurse encounter), and because I was running late I called the dental clinic to let them know I'd need some extra time to get there. The receptionist asked for my name, and I spelled out my surname over the phone. The young teenage boy in school uniform, who stood beside me, looked at me upon hearing my surname, with his eyes wide open and pointed to his name tag. It turned out that we shared the same surname, and I guess he found it amusing. :) (Note: I have a relatively rare surname) After I ended the phone call we started chatting - I asked if we also shared the same Chinese surname, which was even rarer... and to my surprise we actually did, and also belonged to the same dialect group! O_o And at one point I asked him, "Haha, do you think we could be related?" We chatted till we got off the train at the same stop and bade each other goodbye, feeling comforted that I'd met such a sweet and well-mannered adorable little boy who shared my surname. :)

Five months later this evening, on the train and on my way to the exact same train stop to meet DOK for dinner, I had my ears peeled to my music... and at some point I looked up, and noticed a familiar face standing less than a metre from my left (!!!!). That face brightened up upon recognising a familiar face, and we were both like, "Hey... you're...." as we both struggled to recall each other's names.

He showed me his name tag once again to refresh my memory. Yes, it was the same boy I met on the train five months ago. OMG. I cannot believe I ran into him again, on the same peak-hour train, at the same time, standing at the same spot, travelling to the same station, wearing the same school uniform. It certainly felt like meeting an old friend. We chatted again, this time for a longer time, and I was amazed at the little details he remembered about me - alighting at Bishan, visiting the dentist the last time we met, which secondary school I went to, etc.

Before we parted again, I told him we should keep in touch just because we were so fated to meet, so we exchanged phone numbers (he doesn't go on MSN or have a Facebook account because his parents are strict with him O_O). I don't know if he'll ever need a reason to contact me (except asking me for help with his homework, bwahahhaahha), or vice versa, but it was definitely very very nice to get to know, and speak with a boy with a child-like innocence that seems lost in the majority of the youths I see these days.

And now for my only gripe - if only he was at least ten years older. BWAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA ;)

He must have thought I was some ancient old woman when I said to him, "You were born in '93 right? I'm exactly ten years older, born in '83.........." to which his eyes widened and went O_O

I complain that my life is generally boring, but I really appreciate these random individuals entering my life once in awhile. :)

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM , Blogger LKS said...

so gabra! ;)

 
At 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on this entry, I'd say your life is pretty interesting! :D Beats mine, anyway.

The Dark Knight was pretty good, I'll say that. :) Amazing how the drama starts before the film starts rolling. lol!

 
At 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn Lynn Lynn...

your life is so interesting! i need some random "cute" individuals too! LOL i havent talked to u for like, ages! are u overseas now? speak soon okay =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home