Maybe I should have come here straight after the O's.
Then I wouldn't have had to go through the trauma (yes, trauma) of the entire A-level crap. Looking back upon the years 2000 and 2001, all I can say is - they were somewhat the worst years in my life. And despite the many close friendships I forged in those 2 years, I never ever want to relive that JC life again. Maybe it's just me... but I know I'm not alone.
Life in JC practically whizzed by. It was week after week, month after month, and hey, before we even knew it, it was time for the promos. A pass in Higher Chinese (not a glorious one at that) saved my skin - saved me from doing the same old crap again the following year. Saved me from having to leave my old class and join a younger bunch of people whom, I'm sure, will whisper among themselves:
"Why is she already wearing the uniform? Oh... So she got retained..."
Maybe I'm overreacting. But seriously, that's the way the world works.
I remember the days in JC when I used to wait in fear for test papers or exam scripts to be returned. The math, the economics. I distinctly remember the familiar heart-throbbing, sweaty palms and wobbly feet everytime I await my name to be called and, verdict to be announced. Fate to be sealed. Memories of the demolition of my self-confidence time and again remain deeply etched in my mind. Even the principal poured cold water on the arts people at every opportunity possible. Not that I cared about that one bit, though. I just thought it was... unfair. We live in a society "based on justice and equality", or so the Pledge proclaims. Ironically, the arts faculty became very much a faculty of second-class citizens in NJC. The memories were so bad... they still give me the creeps recalling them now.
Now here I am, approximately 6000 km away in Melbourne, pursuing a further education which, well, may not exactly be of the best quality in the world. But at least I'm happy. The immense amount of encouragement I get from my lecturers and tutors. The grades I'm getting. The satisfaction I derive from getting back a piece of work bestowed with a good mark. Far cry from what I experienced in JC, I tell you. I'm glad I finally found a place where I'm doing what I want, and most importantly, feeling more accomplished and appreciated.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home