Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Besame mucho.

And so, with the end of my final Japanese speaking test at 2.10pm today, I am officially done with classes for my final semester ... as an undergraduate that is. This semester turned out to be very rewarding and fulfilling despite starting off on a very rough note, because for me it was such good training for the upcoming Honours year. Sharing my thoughts in class doesn't feel that daunting a task anymore (though I know it's kinda odd how it took this long for me to overcome this 'phobia'). And of course, the extra-curricular activities that came with doing Japanese at uni - playing host to exchange students, Internet chat sessions, etc. Time-consuming yes, but also a very enriching experience.

It has been a great final semester.

If everything goes well, honours starts in approximately two months. I haven't submitted my application, haven't exactly considered my thesis topic, haven't thought of whether I am going to survive at all in the coming year. And as much as it has been a great 3.5 years majoring in an area of study that I am totally in love with, I have to bid Development Studies goodbye *sob*. It may not be easy for everyone to understand because dropping one major for the other seems the most natural thing to do... but the Geography department and its teaching staff have given me an awesome time throughout these years and the thought of not being able to do Development-related subjects anymore, is pretty depressing.

But I guess life is always about making choices, and this time, unfortunately, I've decided to put aside all my idealisms and choose the more 'practical' path, which I believe will be beneficial in the long run.

Japanese Honours, here I come.

It won't do
To stir a deep desire
To fan a hidden fire
That can never burn true.

Suzanne Vega - Caramel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home