What exactly is the appeal of Friendster? Okay, I admit I am playing with it myself, but seriously, I wonder about its popularity. Like, is it really that fun and exciting to know that your friend's friend's sister's cousin was your best friend's boyfriend? I shamefully confess that every night I spend close to an hour (I think?) browsing through other people's profiles - people whom I don't even know, and trying to find some long lost friend from my childhood or something. And there goes the discussion of who is hot, and who isn't. "Anne Marie has super hot friends!! And I mean HOT!" gushes Kenn. And there goes the testimonials and "competition" about how many friends we all have on our personal network. Does it really mean anything more than a popularity contest? "Hey look at me I've got 142 friends! And 54 testimonials that say everything good about me!! Yayyy!!!" A typical one goes "He is a super nice guy, and will always be there for you when you need a friend. C'mon babes what are you waiting for go grab him!!!!" OH COME ON!!!!!!
Kenn says that straight girls love gay men. I totally agree. I actually tried searching for Steven Lim (Yes, "David Tay" in Growing Up *swoon*) on it, almost forgetting the fact that there are probably a zillion Steven Lims on Friendster itself, let alone Singapore. Searched for Caleb Goh as well, found him, and found Robin Goh too. Then realised that Cali knows people who know Caleb and Robin and even Malcolm from Army Daze (the fat nerd who had Margaret Chan as his mom). The last one I did a search on was Fiona Xie (I couldn't control myself) but apparently she doesn't use her real name so...
Friendster - The new cyberspace plaything of 2003. If you happen to be reading this and don't know what Friendster is, maybe you should go back to the Stone Age.
X X X X X
Bek and Kelly were the latest people to get voted off Australian Idol on Monday. I was so sad I cried (who the hell CRIES watching a program like this??!!!) when Bek was singing for the last time after her name was announced. Kelly was such a sport - seeing her being so strong was totally heartbreaking. I hated to see her go, especially when she already had been hovering around the Bottom 3 for the past 2 weeks. Sighhhh. Kel and Bek were good singers, really. They lost out only in terms of popularity, I swear. Maybe I should have followed my instincts and voted for Bek instead.
Am I heading in the right direction
For your loving and affection?
Is this gonna be a brand new start?
Is this the way to your heart?
Rebekah Lavauney - Heading in the Right Direction

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home