Thursday, April 10, 2008

Beautiful Stranger II

After meeting (and sharing an amusing brief moment with) Beautiful Stranger I in Cambodia over a year ago, I'd never met another guy who managed to steal my heart in less than a split second without any interaction whatsoever... until this week.

Close to 11 on a Tuesday morning and as I walked into Starbucks at Bugis Junction looking for a table to sit at, I spotted a well-dressed-in-office-wear Asian guy sitting on a sofa-seat in a corner, reading the paper and sipping a hot coffee (I like good looking men and I like coffee, but I LOVE it even more when the two of them go together). He had his eyes focused downwards on the paper, but at that moment I just KNEW he was going to be 'above average', or at least 'my type'. As I walked past him, my eyes stole a glance at the paper he was concentrating so intently on, and... gasp - a Japanese newspaper (he was indeed not a local, haha).

I immediately sat down at a table where I thought I could spend the day 'observing' him without obstructions to my excellent view. I did a mental full body check: Hairstyle - pass, face - pass, clothes - pass, shoes - pass, ring on left hand - NIL (why this even mattered to me, I have NO IDEA), reads Japanese news - pass (this proves he is not a dumb ass and is passionate about current affairs).

After putting my things down, I went to the counter to get a drink. Minutes later I got back to my table thinking, this is where my fun will start... but to my dismay, I only got to sit down for literally a few seconds when he finished what seemed like his second cup of coffee, folded his paper, took out a pair of brown glasses from his briefcase and put them on (*swoons* I love a guy in geeky glasses!!!). I knew he was leaving. Just when I was so thrilled to see him. :(

And guess what he did.

He placed the two cups of coffee together on the tray, stood up, and returned it to the counter (!!!). I noted that he exchanged a polite 'thank you' with the barista before he walked out the glass door... along with my heart. *sighhhh* I have to admit that he totally scored brownie points from me with that tiny insignificant gesture. What a gentleman, and a good looking one, too. :)

At that moment it hit me. It's not so much that my standards are impossibly high. It's just that I know too well what I want and don't want in my partner, so my criteria becomes too specific and narrow such that it makes me seem like a very picky person. Besides, I'm not your average slender, submissive long-haired Singapore girl, so it's not as if I get much male attention anyway! The truth is, I hardly meet anyone here who fits the bill, and even when I do, the circumstances under which I meet them are way too unrealistic for me to try to spark off a connection, let alone a friendship OR a relationship. Nice looking guy on public transport, Starbucks, ruined temples in foreign exotic countries, blah blah blah. How to initiate anything without coming across as desperate or a freak??? So, in all such situations, I have no choice but to let it go. :(

Sigh, it's okay it's okay... because according to my very own Sour Grapes theory once again, this nihonjin is probably attached, gay, very chauvinistic, addicted to Japanese porn, has low English proficiency and speaks with a terrible Japanese accent.

That being said, isn't it funny how I'm always meeting eye candy at Starbucks?!

I looked into your face
My heart was dancing all over the place.

Madonna - Beautiful Stranger.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my 32 year old divorced man crush is always spotting a starbucks in his hands OR reading at starbucks early in the morning. Love it! :D

starbucks attracts the gorgeous.

that, or we're just smitten with men who enjoys starbucks. ha!

 
At 12:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's just that I know too well what I want and don't want in my partner"

Sounds familiar, leh :D

I just got your address from Jack, and just wanted to wave hello... hello!

All your entries are about the opposite sex, Lynn.

-J

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home