Oh, look how I've changed.
It was the year 2000 and I was in my first year of junior college. I was at the former National Library queuing for my turn to use the coin phone. And because the guy using the phone in front of me seemed to have no intention of keeping the contents of his conversation discreet, I figured that he was trying to win the heart of some girl he was in love with (or something like that). He was going on about how he wanted 'another chance', and 'really want to make this work', and 'I believe we can do this', blah blah... and even though he took eternity on the phone, I was happy to let him take his time and patiently wait, since I thought he seemed pretty serious and I was also honestly wishing the best for them.
Halfway through the convo, and after slotting in 10-cent coin after 10-cent coin, he RAN OUT OF MONEY. I immediately opened my wallet, found some change and gave it to him - all for free and entirely out of goodwill. He accepted my money with gratitude and continued speaking for another few minutes, all this while I was queuing behind him. I can't remember what the outcome was, but after he hung up, I wished him good luck and he shook my hand.
ERRRRRMMM....... Okay, that was Lynn seven years ago, aged 17... full of ideals, hope and love.
If the exact same situation had happened to me today, I would NEVER have offered my money, and I would have told him to hurry up, F*** off and let me have my turn.
And you know what, I actually prefer the me today :)

1 Comments:
you are entering adulthood just fine. ;)
lks
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home